Friday, July 11, 2008

Back to Ernst Haeckel

I have always thought that Haeckel's detailed, colorful, and almost surreal images would make great embroidery designs. Some time ago I got a Dover book with his art (Art Forms In Nature) and a book printed by Prestel Press Art Forms From the Ocean
I have yet to do an embroidery design based on his images, but I must say that I believe that my entry into "art journaling" can be somewhat attributed to him. I started art journaling because of my fascination with diatoms. I did research on them and drew them in my journal while my fascination expanded. I was impressed with the realization that God created each one of these minute plankton-like creatures which are so small and seemingly irrelevant in the grand spectrum of things. Yet, the Lord created each one, and He knows where each one fell and died. The amount of the silica shells left behind from the diatoms is so enormous that there are massive lodes of them which can run miles deep. Bulldozers now tap into these lodes and scoop up uncountable diatoms to sell as "diatomaceous earth". I think it is ironic that silica shells, which lived and died in the ocean, now help keep slugs at bay in our garden. These absolutely beautiful shells which are too small for us to see with our naked eye, are so perfectly formed that scientists use them to calibrate their microscopes.

All this makes me realize again that size is not important....

No comments: